Greater Games Gathering

Car Wars Event Details

Car Wars Event Details

Post  Charles Mahan on Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:15 pm

This will be the third appearance of Car Wars at G3 and as such I'm trying to step it up a notch for this one. Part of that effort is announcing the event well in advance so that folks can prepare their own cars. So here are the details:

Official ruleset: Car Wars Compendium Second Edition

Note this is not the current version of the game being sold by Steve Jackson Games

Event: Division 20 Arena Duel
    Any vehicle under $20,000 in cost
    Only limitation is on dropped weapons due to a general lack of proper double scale counters. I'm going to ask that people stick to mines and oil droppers, as they are relatively easy to manufacture in sufficient quantities.

Special Notes:
    We'll be using a double scale setup. Ie. 2 inches = 15 feet. Cars will sit on 1" by 2" counters, Trikes will fit on 1"x1" counters, and motorcycles will sit on 1/2" by 1" counters, etc.

I've been working with some 1/83rd scale toy cars that seem to fit pretty well on these counters, and have found some black mat board with a faint 1/2" grid pattern laid out on it to use as the arena floor. I'm planning on building some form of 3 dimensional arena on top of that board. I also still need turn keys and an updated movement chart. I think we can do most conversions as we go.

I encourage everyone who wants to play to consider bringing their own cars. Make sure they fit on and are mounted on a 1"x2" counter. Consider getting a second car and cutting it up into little pieces. Attach those little pieces to 1/2"x1" counters for use as debris.

It's going to take a lot of effort to get this put together in time for the event, and I welcome any help anyone can provide.

Re: Car Wars Event Details

Post  republics fury on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:08 pm

So...we're not going to use the Car Wars chits?

Post  republics fury on Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:48 pm

It seems like it'd be easier to just to use the original Car Wars maps and chits but this sound much cooler!

I'm happy to help...what do you need help with?

Post  Charles Mahan on Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:59 pm

We will revert to chits if I can't get all the stuff together to do the minis stuff. I think to attract a wider player base, minis would be helpful. Besides it's cool Wink
    Wolf 359
    Boardmember
    Boardmember

Post  Wolf 359 on Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:05 pm

Karl, first you have to learn how to drive the chits. Then you can worry about Charles' adept adaptive counter mods/upgrade. Got it? Learn to drive, man. It's cardboard. If you knock me into another building on the second movement phase I am going to shave your beard off onto the table and call it 'debris'. Very Happy

Post  republics fury on Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:38 am

Driving like that takes skill my friend Wink

Post  Charles Mahan on Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:30 am

Looks like the mini's stuff is turning out pretty well. I've got plenty of cars, debris counters(maybe enough anyway), mine counters, oil slick counters, ice dropper counters, and no less than 4 double scale turn keys. Just about all the other counters should be reproducable by placing a regular car wars counter on top of a blank double size counter, of which I have plenty.

Still plan on Division 20, but now we can have just about any type of weapon system allowed by the Second edition of the Compendium.

I'm keeping the arena design under raps for now. What I've created is a re-configurable arena which consists of plenty of black top and twenty 1"x1"x7"(7.5'x7.5'x52.5' at scale) armor plated concrete blast barriers which can be re-arranged to create different types of arenas. In addition, there are going to be several "luxury" boxes right on the arena floor. The ultimate in luxury for the dueling fan with refined tastes, and a fair amount of dough to spend. These luxury boxes are made of several inches of clear plastic armor.

I still consider the setup to be only about half finished, but I think you'll all be happy with the setup.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Apr 26, 2018 1:12 pm